
I finally decided to try out a different hydration system since I've been upping my mileage the past few weeks. Duh! I normally schlep a waist-belt water bottle system such as the Ultimate Direction Access. However, I had been thinking of using something more substantial.
So after having seen all the ultra runners using various Nathan products, I was easily swayed. I'm such a follower.
I went out and got the Nathan race vest #008. I was curious about trying something that wasn't attached to my waist--and who doesn't want to wear a vest? So I've done about three long runs with this vest and have been pretty pleasantly surprised. The main strengths are its weight and fit. The material is primarily mesh and extremely light. The fit has a single chest strap and two side straps. It is well weighted since it's a vest and not a a backpack. It seems to move pretty well and is not stiff. It has a couple storage compartments on the front of the vest which are nice from an access perspective during a run. Gels, gu's, triscuits, a Taser, it all fits!
The only negatives I would comment on would be the drinking valve is not quite as easily accessed as some Camelbak bite valves. Nathan uses a simple pull-push valve. Also cleaning the bladder isn't the easiest chore, though I would say that most reservoirs have the same issue. Also a common problem is the sloshing affect. Again this is pretty much true for any hydration pack, but does take some getting used to.
Overall this is a really good hydration pack especially for anyone running more than 90 minutes. It can hold 50 oz. which is more than enough for a 2-3 hour run. I don't really care for running with bottles in my hands so this has been a good option (I've got small hands, dang). I'm hoping to get a North Face boa pack in the future to compare. Til then I'll stick with the Nathan vestie for my longer runs.
It's nice to see someone doing something healthy. You may be obsessed in fact, but better this than that "zoo love" thing you tried to sell me on. Anyway, I imagine this thing is inappropriate for a three mile, 0 grade shuffle through the mall food court - but your review sounds quite compelling, so I may get one for aspirational purposes. Now that you are not holding water bottles do you find yourself asking, in the eternal words of Ricky Bobby, "Uhm, what do I do with my hands?"
ReplyDelete