Sunday, February 7, 2010

A bobcat on Coyote


What is the best way to indulge in delicious superbowl party food without feeling guilt? How about running the furthest you have ever run before.

A clear sunny day led to spectacular views in the Marin Headlands for myself, my wife Alex and our friend Moira. Really there's nothing that could ruin this day. Well, maybe except for underestimating the hills there that make the elevation profile look like an EKG.

Alex and Moira did a figure eight run that included some gnarly hills like Middle Green Gulch Trail and Miwok out of Tennessee Valley. Their trail map (another Kelton napkin map) is scanned below. Of course I was hoping to hit the 3 hour mark so I added some miles. Somehow it turned into a 19 mile trail run.
 
One highlight was seeing the largest bobcat I have ever seen. Interestingly it occurred on Coyote Ridge Trail. One lowlight was bonking while trying to make it up Miwok trail out of Tennessee Valley. I was looking for a funicular at that point.

If you're ever interested in doing this run you can always park near the patriotic nut guy. It's not an In N' Out, but I guess you could refuel there.



1 comment:

  1. Kelty....my shoes are still damp from that run. Zen Center garden and horses are still fresh in my mind. So glad I tripped on Fox instead of there. I still love Middle Green Gulch even though am still sore. Did I mention I LOVE running in Marin? Bobcats, red salamaders and dogs named Emanuel jumping in mud puddles...doesn't get any better than that! Thanks again for the great run.

    ReplyDelete