Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Product review: Clif Shot Bloks
If you've ever had a Gu you might understand my need to find something more appealing to eat while running. I'm sure there are those that like the easy to digest energy gel. However trying to swallow this gooey substance tests my gag reflex. Not pretty.
About a year ago I came across Clif Shot Bloks at one of my favorite sporting goods stores, Sports Basement. They looked like a gummy cube and made me hope for a consistency akin to my favorite movie treat, gummy bears. After buying a few packages and taking them for a test spin I was not disappointed. Since then Clif has redesigned the packaging to be a linear tube-like wrapper but the product has remained the same.
The Shot Bloks cubes come 6 to a tube and provide 33 calories per cube. One benefit to the cube form is that you can easily measure out caloric intake as opposed to a gel. It also means you don't need to eat the entire package since it will not ooze all over your waistpack or camelbak after being opened. They can even provide some mid-run distraction as you exercise your tongue removing the gummy pieces from between your teeth.
The only negatives I've found are related to the packaging. One, the linear package is a little bit long and could be an issue depending upon where you are trying to stow them. "Is that a Shot Blok or are you just really happy to be running?" Second, the packaging is not quite as easy to open as some gels I've come across. It may seem trivial, but when you're on a trail and watching your footing, the last thing you want is to stumble and bust an ankle because of a wrapper.
As my mileage increases on my long Sunday runs I'm going to be experimenting with foods to offset my burning of 2000+ calories. However, I'll always have a Shot Blok around to get some basic carbs and electrolytes (no protein here). I particularly enjoy the lemon-lime flavor, primarily since I dare not try 'Margarita' flavor. Really, who tests these flavors? No whiskey & coke?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

When will they finally introduce carnitas flavor? Does anyone ever try a mid-run tamale?
ReplyDelete